Friday, July 28, 2006

It Girl, Friday, July 28, 2006: Cheryl Coakley-Rivera

So although this Beacon Hill brouhaha happened on Wednesday, July 19, Cheryl still gets her IT GIRL status for standing up to Representative Philip Travis. The following argument was centered around the creation of a statutory "Commission on Gay and Lesbian Youth," a program formerly known as the "Governor's Commission on Gay and Lesbian Youth."

William Weld instituted the panel in 1992 after he read a disturbing national report chronicling the high rates of suicide in gay and lesbian youth. Romney made news this May when he tried to dismantle the panel (because he's an asshole).

Rep. Travis sponsored one of the harshest and earliest gay marriage bills (H.4840) in 2001 which died in session. Anyone read what Cheryl has to say:

Transcript over Commission of Gay and Lesbian Youth
By Thomas E. Kilduff

Rep. Travis: “The only thing I wanted to say before we take a vote on this issue without any discussion is to tell you what it is. And you can determine yourself whether you wish to vote green or vote red. And I’d like to ask someone who’s carrying this particular section forward to come to the microphone and explain why it’s necessary to have a duplicate commission? The governor’s commission now is to have a governor’s commission on gay and lesbian youth … we fund that, that’s used in our school systems, explaining exactly what the title says.”

“Now there’s a brand new section in the budget the governor vetoed called the gay youth commission. It’s at least redundant number one and number two I would like to know if any of my colleagues, Mr. Speaker, could explain the need for this and the money and why it doesn’t come under any state department whatsoever. It’s redundant yet separate to something we already have on the books.”

“None of us, myself included, have ever voted against the original formation of that commission under the governor’s office and I for one would like someone, finally, to listen to what we’re doing this evening and explain why we need it. I don’t think we do … I think it’s redundant and it’s a program that’s being beat into our school systems and this money will be spent on the homosexual discussion within the community.”

Chairman Donato: “Chair apologizes to the gentleman at the microphone. For what purpose does the lady rise?”

Cheryl Coakley-Rivera (from afar): “Does the gentleman yield?”

Chairman Donato: “Does the gentleman yield?”

Rep. Travis: “The gentleman yields.”

Chairman Donato: “The gentleman yields … the Chairman recognizes Ms. Coakley-Rivera of Springfield.”

Cheryl Coakley-Rivera: “You know, Mr. Speaker, for a long time I’ve sat here, for eight years and you’ve talked about gay and lesbian youth and I’ve listened to the hate in this chamber and I’ve listened to the hate of the man who just walked away from the microphone and that is why we need commissions! So children don’t commit suicide, so people like the gentleman who just walked away from the microphone don’t continue to feed hate, so children don’t take drugs because they’re so confused at the mixed messages they’re getting, because they feel something is wrong with them! They feel that something is so wrong with them that they have to take their own life! This is why we have commissions. This is why we need two commissions.”

Chairman Donato: (slaps gavel) “The Chair apologizes to the lady. Chair will have a brief recess.”

Chairman Donato: “For what purpose does the gentleman rise?”… On a personal privilege.”

Rep. Travis: “A colleague does not attack a colleague … no matter how vehement they feel about an issue. I have not attacked anybody personally; the lady at the microphone attacked me. I would only want to make a point as a personal privilege that we have just done a line item on the question of suicide and voted that well over the two thirds needed to override the governor’s veto. We’re not talking on that point, that point has been settled. Therefore I wish to address the question I asked, that’s the only reason I took the microphone.”

Chairman Donato: “The Chair will pay close attention to the debate to ensure that the debate is centered around the issue.”

Rep. Travis: “I apologize to the lady at the microphone for interrupting her speech, go ahead, please.”

Chairman Donato: “The Chair recognizes Ms. Coakley-Rivera.”

Cheryl Coakley-Rivera: “So back to my point, because there is so much hate and bigotry about gays, about me, about my sexuality … but I was one of the few that made it out, that’s able to stand here tall and say that I am able to love a woman in such a loving and endearing way, but not everybody can do that and God made me and my straight parents made me and they love me for who I am and I love your children for who they are and for who they may be! So that’s why we create commissions … to help people understand the differences of the world, to help our children understand the differences of the world, so they can better deal with the hate and the bigotry of the world … so when we talk about do we have one commission, do we have two commissions on gays and lesbians and youth and this… C’mon we all know what this is about … this is about how people don’t like gays and lesbians and don’t like their lifestyle and they use the church to excuse their hate or their bigotry. The bottom line is, to the gentleman, we need as many commissions to deal with children who are committing suicide, who are taking drugs, who are dealing with gay and lesbian issues, that’s just one of many, we have so many other commissions to deal with so many different problems in the Commonwealth and this is just one of many … Thank you. Mr. Speaker.”

Chairman Donato: “Mr. Travis of Rehoboth, for what purpose does the gentleman rise? The Chair recognizes Mr. Travis of Rehoboth.”

Rep. Travis: “Thank you, Mr. Speaker. In my lips have said to you what that lady has said to you, I apologize to all of you. I never spoke any word that she reiterated from this microphone. I asked the question simply, why do we need a second commission? She answered it for you without you saying a word. My grandchildren are exposed in first grade to what she says they have to learn early in life. Some people in Massachusetts feel that that’s too early. If the commission in place is doing its proper job and is exposing our children to different lifestyles under the law, I have to accept that. I have no argument with that; I don’t have any ground to say I have a problem with it because it is the law. We are creating a brand new commission, a second commission on the same activity and she said it, we need all the time and money or whatever we have to to influence our children. My point of view is different. My point of view is exposure at the earliest stages is wrong and parents tell me that on a day-to-day basis. If I don’t have the right to speak that at the microphone as a legislator representing the majority view of my district, then I’m sorry to the lady of Springfield, I’m not doing my job. My job is to not let this pass; it is not in the public interest. It is not in the best interest of the people of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts and I stand on that premise, my honor, my word I do not attack any gay or straight person for any reason, I have never done that in my career in twenty-four years and I’m not going to start this evening, but I will not be put down by someone who is of the other persuasion who thinks that I am a bigot. You’re picking on me as a straight person and I resent that and I have the greatest respect for the lady from Springfield and I always will no matter what the circumstances while I serve in this House and beyond. Thank you, Mr. Speaker.”

2 Comments:

At 8:20 AM, Blogger Sandouri Dean Bey said...

i wish someone would drop-kick travis back into the stone age.

 
At 8:30 AM, Blogger Blue-Xela said...

We're all looking forward to his retirement in January!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home